Sunday, April 25, 2010

Today's Fantasy MMORPG's...

I began with Everquest 1 for 4 years, then World of Warcraft for 2 years, after that Warhammer for a bit, then Everquest 2 for a bit. Since then I have tried many trials and F2P games. I like fantasy, that's obvious in my 'interests', but I've come to a conclusion... All of these games are the same as each other with just slight variations. You get quests, you kill mobs, rinse and repeat, and grind, grind, grind and more grind. What makes it a grind ? Killing mobs... it's about the only thing you can do to level. Most quests require killing mobs too, so don't say... do quests, and don't say there's tradeskills, or professions to break the monotony... I once fell asleep tradeskilling on EQ2... and they have the best crafting system that I've seen in a game. Nonetheless, the fantasy games are getting boring, it's time for something unique to come along, maybe something that requires some intelligence. Oh.. no, that would scare away the kids and then profits would drop. One reason WoW is still dominating... they are catering to kids, the TV ads make that obvious. Oddly when I started playing WoW it seemed there were more adults, but not when I stopped playing it. Are there any game developers out there with the guts to make a decent original fantasy game that's not just another copy of all the others ? If so, please tell me because I haven't found it and I'm still looking. Please don't tell me I have to go back to watching TV... Yuck !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment